Well, Wimbledon is over and Andy didn’t win. A British win would have been nice, but it’s no real surprise…. even to a non-tennis fan like me, it was obvious that Roger Federer would be hard to beat in the form he has been in this week.
Nonetheless, these scones provide the perfect english tea time treat, especially when topped with Speedy Soft Set Strawberry Jam. This vegan recipe ticks all the boxes – light, only slightly sweet and the perfect vehicle for eating sticky jam.
Scones (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, soya-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 450g plain flour
- 3 tsps baking powder
- 75g dairy-free spread, such as Pure
- 70g soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 300ml oat milk
– Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Centigrade/Gas mark 6
– Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl.
– Stir in the sugar.
– With your fingertips, gently rub in the dairy-free spread until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
– Make a well in the centre and pour in the oat milk and vanilla essence.
– Bring together to a soft, sticky dough.
– turn onto a floured surface and very gently bring together to a soft, smooth dough.
– Pat out with your fingers until 3 cm thick.
– Cut out with a 6cm cookie cutter (or whatever size you choose)
– Place on an oiled and floured baking sheet.
– Brush the tops with oat milk and sprinkle with demerara sugar.
– Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden on top.
– Cool on a wire rack.
– Serve with dairy-free spread and homemade strawberry jam.