The sun is shining (at last) and it seems like summer may be here, so what better cupcake to make for the last birthday party of the school year than one with a totally tropical vibe – banana and coconut sponge topped with either mango or lime icing.
The combination of banana and coconut transports you straight to Caribbean – a kind of tropical fruit punch in cake form! Chocolate icing would work well, but the addition of lime cordial/juice or mango juice to the icing sugar adds an extra little sunny kick. I think these might become our summer favourites!
Totally Tropical Cupcakes (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, soya-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 2/3rds cup pureed/mashed banana
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup oat milk
- 3 tbsps desiccated coconut
– Preheat the oven to 180 Degrees Centigrade/Gas Mark 4
– Line a cupcake tray with pretty cases
– Sift together the flour, bicarb, baking powder and salt. Stir in the sugar and coconut.
– In a separate bowl, whisk together the banana puree, oil and oat milk.
– Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry, until well combined.
– 1/2 to 2/3rds fill the cupcake cases.
– Bake for 20 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean
– Cool on a wire rack.
Lime or Mango Icing (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, soya-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes enough to ice 6 of each fllavour
- 8 tbsps icing sugar, sifted
- lime cordial/juice
- mango juice
– Put 4tbsps icing sugar in a small bowl, add a small amount of lime cordial/juice and stir until smooth and thick. If too thick, add more juice/cordial. If too thin, add more icing sugar.
– Repeat with the mango juice.
– Ice 6 cupcakes with each icing.
– Decorate as desired.
They look gorgeous! What a good combo with the lemon cupcakes, soon to hit your kitchen! 😉