So, I need to use up the tangy lime curd asap. After much internet perusal I felt inspired to tweak a classic vegan Victoria Sponge recipe to make a lime and coconut cake, filled with lashings of oozy lime curd.
The basic recipe of a Victoria Sponge has proved quite difficult to master in egg-free form – somehow chocolate cakes are easier to turn out. This version works beautifully well, producing a light and aerated crumb – it would also work with a classic raspberry jam filling, or even buttercream. But, if you fancy a zing, you can’t beat the lemon or lime curd.
Coconut and Lime Victoria Sponge (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, soya-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes 1 9 inch sandwich cake
- 1 cup oat milk
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups self-raising flour
- 2 tbsps cornflour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- zest of 1 lime
- 1/3 cup sunflower oil
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade/Gas Mark 4
– Grease and line the base of 2 9 inch round cake tins
– Add the vanilla and vinegar to the oat milk.
– Whisk in the oil, sugar, lime zest and coconut.
– Sift in the flour, cornflour, baking powder, bicarb and salt. The mixture is quite runny.
– Divide between the 2 cake tins.
– Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.
– Cool in the tins.
– Once cool turn out onto a wire rack.
– Generously spread lime curd over the top of one cake and place the other one on top.
– Generously dust the top with icing sugar.
Ooooh what a beautiful sponge! It looks really moist and so tender. Plus, lime and coconut – now I’ll be singing the song all day 😀
Looks amazing! 🙂
thank you x
Brilliant! I love that everything that eludes me in vegan baking I can find RIGHT HERE! xoxo!
Woooow, this looks so good! Talk about a summer recipe! 🙂
This is gorgeous! You are amazing, wish I can do something like that too! =)
Oh boy. Victoria sponge. Have been afraid to try it since going vegan – but I think I can do this!
it’s super easy – give it a go!