Apparently this week is National Cupcake week – a slightly tenuous reason for a celebration if you ask me, but then again the cake tin was looking all empty and lonely, and any excuse to bake is good ;-).
Earlier in the week I bought some rather delicious late-season local strawberries and really wanted to incorporate some into these cupcakes – to be honest, a little food colouring and/or strawberry essence would have increased the overall ‘strawberries and cream’ effect, but this natural version still gave a berry vibe to a basic iced cupcake
Strawberries and Cream Cupcakes (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 1/2 cup oat milk
- 1/4 cup strawberry puree
- 1/4 cup soya yogurt
- squeeze of lemon
- 1/3 cup sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- large pinch of salt
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade/Gas Mark 4
– Line a muffin tray with cupcake cases
– Mix together the soya yogurt, lemon juice, oat milk and strawberry puree. Whisk in the oil.
– In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarb and salt. Stir in the sugar.
– Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently mix until thoroughly combined.
– 2/3rds fill the cupcake cases with the mix.
– Bake for 20 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.
– Cool on a wire rack.
– Once cool, decorate with fluffy velvety white buttercream, strawberries and chocolate chips.