Muffins are so adaptable and make great portable food. This version was made with Big S in mind, since she loves a zing to her food. My version is topped with a lemon syrup but equally you could add a lemony water icing if preferred.
Lemon Poppyseed Muffins (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan) warning: contains soya and gluten
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2/3rds cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dairy-free spread, melted
- 2/3rds cup oat or soya milk
- 1 cup soya yogurt
- zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 3 tbsps poppyseeds
for the lemon syrup
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsps caster sugar
– Preheat the oven to 190 Degrees Centigrade/Gas Mark 5
– Line a muffin pan
– In a bowl mix together the oat milk, soya yogurt, vanilla and melted dairy-free spread. Set aside.
– Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in the sugar.
– Make a well in the centre and pour in the wet ingredients. Mix until combined (make sure you don’t over mix).
– Gently stir in the lemon juice, zest and poppy seeds.
– 2/3rds fill each muffin liner.
– Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden on top and a knife comes out clean.
– Cool on a wire rack.
– Make the syrup by bringing the lemon juice and sugar to the boil. Boil frantically for a couple of minutes until reduced.
– Spoon over the muffins and leave to cool
– Dust with icing sugar before serving.
This sounds awesome, i wonder if I can change to coconut milk and yogurt….
I don’t see any reason why not. Let me know how they turn out if you give them a go 🙂
Hi Lucy, I enjoy your blog and I have nominated your blog for ‘The Reality Blog’ award. Please visit http://vinicooksveg.wordpress.com/2012/11/30/thanks-for-all-awards-and-appreciation. Thank you.
Thanks so much, I really appreciate it 🙂