Tabbouleh

The weather has been shocking in the UK. More rain and wind than you could imagine and it’s been dark for weeks on end. It’s really starting to get me (and everyone else) down, a serious lack of vitamin D I think. While we wait for the sun’s return, the obvious antidote is a little bit of summer for lunch and what could be better than a fresh, herb-heavy salad straight out of the Middle East? Tabbouleh is a bulgur wheat salad that should contain more parsley than wheat, giving it that lovely colour. The origins of the word are from the Arabic word “taabil”Β meaning ‘seasoning’ and it really is all about those extra flavours of parsley, lemon, red onion that save the bulgur wheat from blandness.

Tabbouleh (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)

Makes a big bowlful, probably serves 4-8 as a side dish

• 1/2 cup bulgur wheat
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 huge bunch of parsley! (3 cups chopped)
  • Small bunch of mint, (3 tbsps chopped)
  • 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
  • 10 cherry tomatoes, finely chopped
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 3 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp salt

– Simmer the bulgur wheat in the water for about 15 minutes, until all the water has been absorbed and the grains are cooked through.
– Once cooked place in a sieve or remove any remaining excess water
– Place the wheat in a serving bowl and fluff up with a fork.
– Pour over the lemon, oil and salt. Mix well.
– Stir in the parsley, mint, onion and tomatoes.
– Toss well and serve at room temperature.

1. Looks lovely and refreshing!

2. susieu says:

Looks yummy! Much needed with this weather!

I know! I think we need to do the opposite of a rain dance!

3. that looks very good and healthy! πŸ™‚

I always think a salad for lunch is the way forward πŸ™‚

4. You tabbouleh recipe is wonderful! It does sound so good right now for we have been having the exact same weather here in the Pacific Northwest of the US. Raining like crazy, windy and yes, dark. I’m going to make your recipe today, maybe it will brighten things up a bit!

Did you make it? I hope you enjoyed πŸ™‚
      Yes your weather sounds similar – we need some light! Roll on the spring!

1. I did and it was wonderful! We absolutely loved it. I would like to do a post involving your tabbouleh. Do I have your blessing to make a post out it…you get all the credit and I’ll link back, of course! πŸ™‚

So glad you liked it – I’m more than happy for you to use it in a post (thanks for asking) x

I love colourful food!

5. Ani says:

I grew up on tabbouleh and it is still one of my favorites. When my brother became gluten free, I made it with quinoa instead of bulgur and it was great! I have the recipe on my blog.

Ooh nice idea using quinoa, I’m definitely going to try that πŸ™‚

6. I tried my first tabbouleh the other day with Quinoa! I loved it! The flavor is divine!

Fantastic! Those herbs are wonderful aren’t they?

7. Finny says:

Would it be possible to make this using couscous and red bell peppers rather than the bulgur wheat and tomatoes? I cannot stand the texture of tomatoes and we prefer couscous to most any other small grain type food.

Absolutely – I think that would make a really yummy dish – besides couscous is far easier to use than bulgar πŸ™‚