I wanted to make some cookies – you may have noticed my passion for making cookies by now – but it seemed too sunny for chocolate; and besides, we were off to the beach for the day, so the idea of sandy, oozy chocolate chips didn’t really appeal. And that brought me to making these chewy citrus-packed lemon cookies. The lemon flavour is surprisingly zippy and zingy, making these softish cookies ideal to be paired with a nice cup of Earl Grey tea, or just any time really.
To make ‘fairy cookies’, certain to appeal to any little (or big) girl, roll the balls of dough in hundreds and thousands (also called non-pareils or funfetti) before baking.
Lemon Melts (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes about 18
- 2/3 cup soft brown sugar
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 2/3 cup sunflower oil
- 1/4 cup oat milk
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp lemon extract (optional)
- 1 3/4 cups plain flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sprinkles (for the fairy-cookie variety)
– Preheat the oven to 160 degrees centigrade/gas mark 3/325 degrees Fahrenheit
– Whisk together the sugar, oil, oat milk, lemon zest and essence and corn flour.
– Sift in the flour, bicarb and salt.
– Mix together to form a soft dough.
– Make tbsp sized balls and place well apart on the baking sheet, press each one down slightly
(for fairy cookie variety, roll each ball in sprinkles before placing on the baking sheet)
– Bake for 10 minutes, until starting to turn golden
– Cool briefly on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack.
These look so delicious! I am a big fan of lemon, so this is a must-make. Thanks for sharing the recipe 😀 xx Bianca
Thank you! Hope you enjoy x
Yum, these do sound perfect for a sunny day at the beach …or a day dreaming of sunny days at the beach, for that matter 🙂
Or any day! 😉
I love citrus in baked goods – definitely a great alternative to chocolate at times!
These look amazing…and so does your blog! When did the revamp happen? Havent visited for a while for some reason…
It has been a while – glad you like x
Just “discovered” your site. You’re a legend!!! I love that your recipes dont call for fancy, hard-to-find ingredients.
Aww thanks so much 🙂
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy to have found your blog cant wait to get cooking Im allergic to so many things my food life was extremely boring .Now i cant wait to get baking Thank you so much for sharing xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx