Lovely zingy lemon cake, must be one of my absolute favourites. Lighter than some cakes, fresher and effortlessly elegant, this is definitely one to serve non chocolate fans. Whilst I do love a classic lemon drizzle (who doesn’t?!) this is a slightly more fanciful affair with lemon scented sponge sandwiched with lemon buttercream and homemade egg-free lemon curd and then the top drizzled with a zingy lemon water icing. There’s no shortage of lemon flavours in this cake!!
I really would encourage you to try this ramped up variation of the perfect lemon cake (made friendly of course) which I was introduced to by Claire Clark when I studied at Le Cordon Bleu – the lemon drizzle that inspired this one was her all time favourite cake, which definitely says something when it comes from such a master of patisserie and baking. It’s certainly a family favourite here too, often getting wheeled out at birthdays and celebrations, especially when the recipient isn’t such a big chocolate fan.
Lemon Layer Cake (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
Makes one 1lb loaf cake
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100g caster sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 100ml sunflower oil
- 150ml dairy-free milk milk
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
For the buttercream:
- 2 tbps dairy-free spread
- 1 tbsp vegetable fat, such as Trex
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp lemon essence (optional)
For the icing:
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- lemon juice to make a pourable icing
- 2-3tbsps lemon curd for filling
- Sift together the flour, bicarb and salt. Stir in the sugar and lemon zest
- In a separate bowl, combine the soya milk, lemon juice and oil.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently mix until combined into a smooth mixture. Pour into a lined loaf tin.
- Bake at 180 degrees centigrade for approx. 30 minutes (until a knife comes out clean). Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the buttercream ingredients.
- Once cooled, split in half horizontally and fill with a layer of lemon buttercream and lemon curd. Place the top back on and drizzle with the lemon water icing.
Looks absolutely delicious XOXO – Bacon
Oh dear that looks so incredible!!! I wish I could have a slice 😉
🙂 I’ll have to make another and send a slice! X
omg looks scrumptious!!
Oh I love homemade lemon drizzle cake, but this is even better. I must give it a go 😀.
I hope you do x
For me, anything Lemon is ALWAYS a winner! Yummm 😉
I’m totally with you on that! 🙂
Ooh I love citrus baked goods – I made a lemon cake this week too. Mine was with yoghurt, needs a bit of fine tuning before sharing though. I love the addition of the creamy layer. Cute plate too 🙂
Mmm look forward to your recipe when you are ready to share x
Nom nom nom nom nom, this lemon cake looks like the perfect treat I should have now!!!! Do you think it work with another fruit like orange?
Definitely, it would be yummy with orange 🙂