I’ve always had a fondness for the magic of cookie making – how a simple dollop of dough can transform into delicate, delightful cookie in a matter of minutes. In my opinion, there little that’s more appealing than a tin or plate full of freshly baked cookies, especially if they’re still warm from the oven!
These are a twist on the classic chocolate chip cookie, using rich muscovado sugar for a caramel background and featuring the cute perfectly formed mini chocolate chips from Doves Farm. They’re not the cheapest and come in a dinky little tube, but they’re gluten, dairy, nut and soya free and are about as cutely perfect as a chocolate chip can be. None of those misshapen clumsy dollops so often found in free-from food!
I would really really recommend this recipe – it makes the perfect chic chip cookie – crunchy and crispy around the edges with a softer interior – who could ask for more!
Muscovado Chocolate Chip Cookies
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes about 18
2/3rds cup muscovado sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2/3rds cup sunflower oil
1/4 cup oat milk
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 and 3/4 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 160 Degrees Centigrade/Gas mark 3. Lightly grease two baking sheets
- Whisk together the oil, oat milk, sugars, vanilla and cornflour. It will combine to form a smooth caramel.
- Sift in the flour, bicarb and salt. Mix well.
- Fold in the chocolate chips
- Roll into walnut sized balls, place slightly apart on the baking sheets and flatten a little.
- Bake for 10 minutes
- Let cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes before moving to a wire rack.