Is there any more delicious and tempting combination than chocolate and salted caramel? The flecks of saltiness in sticky sweet caramel paired with irresistible chocolate is a match made in heaven.
I haven’t made any cupcakes for a while but they’re always so tempting, especially to the younger members of the family, so they’re the perfect vehicle for trying out flavour combinations. The base is a simple rich chocolate sponge. The buttercream is flavoured with salted caramel – for this you have three options – caramel essence and a pinch of salt, a caramel sauce and pinch of salt drizzled over the buttercream, or as I did using Sugar and Crumbs delicious naturally flavoured icing sugars. Which ever you choose, the end result with certainly be irresistible! I added a sprinkle of honeycomb pieces for added sweet crunch.
Decadent Chocolate Cupcakes
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
350g self-raising flour
200g caster sugar
50g cocoa powder
200ml sunflower oil
300ml dairy-free milk
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade/Gas Mark 5
- Mix together the dairy-free milk, lemon juice, vanilla and oil. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour and salt. Stir in the sugar.
- Add the bicarb to the wet ingredients and stir.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently mix to thoroughly combine.
- 2/3 rds fill the cupcake cases and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Salted Caramel Buttercream
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
enough to pipe onto 14-18 cupcakes
1/4 cup vegetable fat (such as Trex)
3/4 cup dairy-free margarine (such as Pure)
3 cups icing sugar, sifted (i used half Sugar and Crumbs Salted caramel flavour and half normal icing sugar)
1-2 tbsps dairy-free milk
(or if using essence, add 1-2tsp caramel essence and a pinch of salt)
- Whisk together the spread and vegetable fat.
- Add the icing sugar, 1/2 cup at a time with a splash of the milk, until fully combined and nice and fluffy.
- Spread or pipe onto the cupcakes.
- Decorate with honeycomb pieces and cocoa powder if desired