Brandy snaps are an essential part of Christmas – i can’t imagine eating them at any other time of year! They’re also a perfect easy recipe to make in a rush, or with the children to keep them entertained in the days running up to Christmas. We’re going to fill them with dairy-free whipped cream and devour them for a special pudding.
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegan and vegetarian)
Makes about 16
75g dairy-free margarine
80g light muscovado sugar
70g golden syrup
80g plain flour
1/2 tsp ginger
Zest of 1/2 lemon
1 tbsp brandy
- Melt together the margarine, sugar and syrup until the sugar has dissolved.
- Place the flour, spice and lemon zest in a mixing bowl. Pour in the meted sugar mix and add the brandy (or use apple juice instead). Stir well to form a very sloppy dough.
- Line a baking sheet with non-stick parchment and preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade
- Place teaspoons of the mix onto the lined sheet, and spread into a thin circle
- Bake for 7-8 minutes until turning golden. Cool on the sheet for one minute and then loosely wrap around a wooden spoon handle to form a tube. Leave to cool. Repeat with the rest of the mix.
- Serve filled with cream (just before serving) and dusted with icing sugar
- These snaps keep well for a few days in an airtight container as long as you only fill them when you’re ready to devour them!