I seem to be on a bit of a chocolate theme at the moment….. maybe it’s the approach of Easter? Anyway, I needed a quick cake to take over to the girls’ Grandmother (who had their beloved cousin staying) and this was perfect to cobble together at the last minute. It’s not too sweet, light and easily portable. I eventually iced the top with a water icing, but there is no need.
Chocolate Marble Cake (dairy-free, egg-free, soya-free, nut-free, vegetarian, vegan)
Makes one loaf
- 180g self-raising flour
- 20g cocoa powder
- 100g caster sugar
- 100ml sunflower oil
- 150ml oat milk
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
– Preheat the oven to 200 degrees centigrade.
– Line the loaf tin
– Mix together the oil, oat milk, bicarbonate of soda and lemon juice and set aside.
– Sift 100g of the flour into a bowl and stir in 50g caster sugar
– In another bowl, sift in the rest of the flour and the cocoa powder. Stir in the remaining sugar.
– Add half the wet ingredients to each bowl and mix to form a smooth dough
– Put the white cake mixture into the tin first. Pour the chocolate mixture over the top. With the end of a spoon swirl the mixtures together to get the marbled effect.
– Bake for 30 minutes, until a knife comes out clean
– Completely cool in the tin.
– Ice with a mixture of water and icing sugar, if desired