This is a cobbled together recipe, using store cupboard ingredients, and it worked an absolute treat – I’ve already been asked for the recipe by my helpful tasters!! If you like coconut definitely give this a go… they’re reminiscent of cheese straws but sweet coconut instead (sounds weird, right?). I reckon they’d go brilliantly with a chocolate mousse (that recipe will appear soon!) but also work extremely well as a stand alone cookie.
Coconut Straws (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, vegetarian, vegan)
makes about 24
- 90g dairy-free spread (I used Pure)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup dessicated coconut
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2-3 tbsps oat milk
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade
– Cream together the dairy-free spread, sugar and salt until well mixed.
– Stir in the coconut and vanilla.
– Stir in the flour and add the oat milk, bring together with your hands. It will seem dry and crumbly but should come together.
– Turn onto a large sheet of foil. Fold the foil over the top of the dough and roll out to about 1 cm thick. Chill.
– Cut into straw shapes and place on a lined baking sheet.
– Bake for 14 minutes until lightly golden at the edges, turning the baking sheet half-way through.
– Cool on the baking sheet briefly before moving to a wire rack.
– Best eaten fresh, but will keep in an airtight container for a few days.