You may have noticed that I’m quite a fan of chocolate and coconut! The biscuit tin was looking empty and Little S had a friend coming to play on Friday, so this is a concocted recipe that kept them happy after a long day at school. Think a less gooey coconut flapjack affair topped with dark chocolate, and you get the picture!
Chocolate Coated Coconut Oaty Bars (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, peanut-free, vegetarian and vegan)
Makes 20 small bars
- 1 cup oats
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup soft brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dairy-free spread, such as Pure
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 85g dairy-free dark chocolate, such as Kinnerton
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade/Gas Mark 4
– Line a 9 inch square baking tray with foil or baking parchment
– In a small saucepan melt together the dairy-free spread, sugar and vanilla.
– In a separate bowl stir together the oats, flour, baking powder and coconut.
– Pour the sugar/spread mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well.
– Turn into the baking tray, press down firmly and level off.
– Bake for 12 minutes, or until lightly golden.
– Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
– Meanwhile melt the chocolate. Spread over the cooled biscuit base.
– Leave to set.
– Un-mold from the baking tray and cut into even bars.
Just made these and they are an absolute winner with the children! So quick and easy to make, and perfect for lunch boxes 🙂
Fantastic! I haven’t made them for a while but I think I’ll make a batch this weekend 🙂