Another type of frangipane (I do have a lot of uses for my egg-free frangipane) filled French style pastry, although I’m not sure they look too much like real bear paws! This time with added sliced strawberries and finished with a thin white icing. This recipe can easily be adapted using different fruit, and works beautifully with cherries, apricots, plums, pears, berries etc.
These would make the perfect pretty patisserie to have with a cup of coffee/tea.
Strawberry and Almond Bear Paws ( dairy-free, egg-free, peanut-free, sesame-free, soya-free, vegetarian and vegan)
– Ready made puff pastry, 1/2 a block
– 1/2 a recipe of dairy-free/egg-free frangipane
– 6 strawberries
– 2-3 tbsps icing sugar mixed with 2-3 tsps water
– oat milk for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Centigrade/Gas Mark 5
- Roll out the pastry into a long thin rectangle
- Pile the frangipane into a long sausage shape nearer one of the long sides of the pastry. Lay slices of strawberry along the top of the frangipane
- Brush the remaining pastry strip with the oat milk, roll up to form a cylinder containing the frangipane.
- Cut into 6 even sized sections.
- With a sharp knife make slits all the way through the pasties, leaving one side holding them together. Slightly fan out the ‘toes’
- Transfer to a lined baking sheet and brush with oat milk
- Bake for 15-25 minutes, until golden on top and the pastry is cooked through.
- Cool on a wire rack
- Once cool brush with the thin icing.
Just been told I need to stay off gluten, but I’ll live vicariously through your posts! They look scrumptious!
These look so good that I want to make them right now – I’ll be pulling out my puff pastry to make these tomorrow!
Ooh, I hope you made them and enjoyed! let me know 🙂