I was feeling a bit lost yesterday with Big S on her three night activity camp with school. Even thought Little S is still at home, it all seemed a bit quite and empty with Big S away. So, after meeting a friend for lunch I stopped in a cook shop for a little bit of retail therapy (have I mentioned I love cook shops) and picked up a cute crown cookie cutter – perfect for my two little wannabe princesses and also the upcoming Jubilee! And to celebrate my 100th post 🙂
So today’s baking challenge was to use the cookie cutter. I opted for an improvised brown sugar roll-out cookie, which I sprayed with gold shimmer spray for an authentic regal look. Next time I’ll roll them out thiner, but it’s a useful recipe if you want to use a cute cookie cutter!
Brown Sugar Roll Out Cookies (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, soya-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes about 15 big cookies
- 1 cup soft brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable fat
- 1/2 cup dairy-free spread
- 2 3/4 cups plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsps baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsps oat milk
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade/Gas Mark 4
– Cream together the vegetable fat, dairy-free spread and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
– Sift in the flour, salt and baking powder. Add the oat milk and mix to form a soft dough.
– Knead the dough to form a smooth ball.
– Roll out to under 1/2 cm thick. Cut out cookies using whatever fancy cutter you like/have!
– Place on an un-greased baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, until lightly golden around the edges.
– Cool on a wire rack.
– Decorate as desired.