You don’t get to eat much caramel if you’re on a dairy-free diet. That’s a shame, as caramel has always been a favourite of mine (mmm, Cadbury’s Caramel!) and has a lot of sweet uses. Also, Big S really doesn’t like bananas so I though a banoffee concoction might appeal to her sweet tooth. As it turned out she loved the caramel but still didn’t like the banana…. oh well, I tried!
This is the recipe used for the caramel sauce – I used some for my banoffee pudding pots (recipe to follow) and will have to think of a use for the rest of the sticky sweet sauce currently sitting in the fridge…. any ideas?
Caramel Sauce (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, soya-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 1/2 cup oat milk
- 1/2 cup dairy-free spread
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsps syrup (golden or maple)
- 2 tbsps cornflour
– Pour the oat milk into a sauce pan. Add the cornflour and gently dissolve over a low heat.
– Add the other ingredients. Melt the spread and dissolve the sugar.
– Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer until the sauce has thickened enough to easily coat the back of a spoon.